Top 11 Benefits of Schizandra
Schizandra, a sweet, sour, bitter, salty and pungent (all 5 flavors!) adaptogenic berry that has amazing health benefits. You might be aware that schizandra is one of the highest antioxidant berries, and did you also know that it is so much more than that? Here is a list of the top 11 reasons why the team here at SurThrival loves schizandra.
1. Liver Cleansing — Schizandra protects the liver from harmful toxins. Radiation and other unwanted exposures are properly escorted from the liver and excreted out of the body. Schizandra liberates the liver from any unwanted toxins. Perfect for springtime cleansing! It has also been used in the treatments of liver diseases such as hepatitis .
2. Longevity Herb — helps maintain vitality. Schizandra is a great anti-inflammatory and antioxidant which supports healthy cellular function, making it a superb tool against aging. In China they believe the berry to contain all three primary life energies: Jing, Qi and Shen, these life forces restore vitality and extend life.
3. Skin Health — increases skin wellness and beauty with long term use. Schizandra has been used in treatments of skin disorders because of its amazing powers to radiate the skin. With 100 days of use, your skin will be glowing and your energy will be greatly increased. Known as an anti aging herb, it actually works to deactivate free radicals that attack liver cells. Free radicals damage cells throughout your entire body and therefore promote aging.
4. Increases Brain Activity — Schizandra will give you a boost of energy. It stimulates the central nervous system giving your brain a renewed sense of focus. It has been used to help adults suffering from ADHD. Studies have shown that schizandra increases concentration and memory. It has the ability to promote mental functioning and increase work productivity.
5. Menopausal Symptoms — Schizandra supports the adrenals and balances the hormones in the body. In Korean medicine, schizandra is used to treat cardiovascular issues that are associated with menopause. This magical little berry enhances blood vessel health and aids in better blood flow.
6. Combats Stress — Schizandra is an adaptogen, which facilitates the bodies ability to cope with stressors. It has also been reported to decrease blood pressure, which is commonly associated with higher stress. Schizandra will help fight adrenal fatigue which is commonly linked to or made worse by chronic stress.
7. Immune Booster — Schizandra will enhance your immune system, helping your body to fight off infections. If you suffer from chronic stress you might also suffer from lower immune system functioning. The active ingredients in this berry are known to reverse many issues of the central nervous system, allowing your immune system to take over without the added work of trying to deal with stress, depression and anxieties that you might be facing.
8. Increases Sexual Health — Schizandra strengthens the entire body and helps in calling your libido to action. It works to increase sexual endurance and produce more fluids.
9. Combats Insomnia — Even though Schizandra aids in mental clarity and stimulation, it is also fantastic in the fight against insomnia. It works to relieve anxieties and stressors therefore allowing you to relax at night.
10. Increases Stamina — Athletes have had amazing results with using schizandra as a part of their daily regimen. It actually reduces fatigue and improves physical power and endurance. Athletes have shown better performance results with long term use of the berry.
11. Cardiovascular System — This berry is very beneficial to your lungs. Not only does schizandra help with good blood flow but will help your body maintain healthy levels of blood sugar as well as lower your cholesterol. It has been used to ease coughing and increase energy and endurance, making it quite the powerful supplement for people with upper respiratory issues, such as asthma.
At this point, its pretty clear why we love this dynamic little berry. It is a powerhouse of a supplement that would make a great addition in your everyday routine. Who doesnt want less stress, beautiful skin, more endurance and a clean liver?!
In Ayurveda, Schizandra would be seen as able to balance all seven Chakras from the root to the crown bringing balance to your whole system. BALANCE is ESSENTIAL for wellbeing and THRIVING in life!
Schizandra is said to increase the “Water Qi in the Kidney.” In particular, it is said to support the “water of the genital organs,” referring to the sexual fluids. Schizandra is said to support the production of semen. It is famous for its ability to relieve sexual fatigue and for increasing the sexual staying-power in men. It is thus an ingredient in the vast majority of mens sexual tonics in Asian herbalism.
Women benefit from the same capacity to increase Water Qi of the Kidney. Schizandra is said to increase circulation and sensitivity in the female genitals. Many women claim increased genital warmth and sensation after using Schizandra for a period of time. The Chinese sexual classics claim that continuous use by a woman will increase the amount of “female elixir,” a euphemism for vaginal secretions, during intercourse.
Schizandra is indeed the quintessence of tonic herbs. It belongs in everyones home elixir bar.*
Schizandra Berry Extract 50g
Schizandra Berry Extract 500g (Best value, 100g Free! 500g for the price of 400g!)
Loose Schizandra Berries 1lb
What are herbal extracts? Herbal extracts are an excellent way of getting the nutrition and goodness from a herb, without the trouble of sometimes elaborate preparation. They are also a way of getting the goodness in as concentrated a form as possible.
How are herbal extracts made? The raw herbs are prepared by hot water extraction, the water is then evaporated off until all that is left is the essential oils and active ingredients. These are then bound together in an excipient, small amounts of non-GM corn flour. This is the most pure and unadulterated way to enjoy tonic herbal extracts possible.
Purity: this vegan product is free from wheat, gluten, soya, added sugar, salt, test, lactose, preservatives, or any other fillers. Not tested on animals.
Directions: these tonic herbs are food grade and safe to use as you would culinary herbs. They can be added to any foods or drinks. Suggested uses are either to add 1/2 a teaspoon to a healthy juice or smoothie, or to prepare them as an instant tonic tea, but simply putting 1/2 a teaspoon in a cup or mug, and adding hot water.