What Are the Tonic Herbs?
The tonic herbs are the elite herbs of the Chinese herbal system, the most fully developed herbal system in the world. The Chinese tonic herbs have always held a very special place in Asian culture. These very special natural substances have been associated with the highest qualities of living, and thus are associated with the ideals of long life, slow aging, glowing health, happiness, wisdom, physical vitality, adaptability, sexual vigor and response, mental acuity and clear intuition, love and compassion, and harmonious relations with nature and with one's fellow human beings. The tonic herbs are not harsh and are not specifically medicinal in the conventional sense. Tonic herbs help to regulate our myriad functions so that we can re-establish and maintain our balance, our adaptability, our vigor and our youthfulness. By achieving these goals, one can be said to have attained true "radiant health.
Why Consume Tonic Herbs?
Tonic herbs are not medicinal. They nurture life, nurture the human spirit, slow down the aging process, and they protect us on every level - physically, immunologically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. What distinguishes Chinese tonic herbalism from other systems has been the attitude the Chinese and other Asian societies have taken toward health. Putting the emphasis on promoting health, they have created a body of knowledge concerning the health-promoting tonic herbs that no other society or system has matched. Other systems have generally emphasized the remedial over the preventive.
Tonic Herbs Are Transformative
Almost every person who uses the Chinese tonic herbs for any extended period of time will experience benefits. In some cases the benefits may be almost instantaneous and profound, while for others the influence may be subtle at first, with cumulative effects developing over time.
Indeed, one of the profound benefits of the Chinese tonic herbs abides in their ability to change "vicious cycles" into "benevolent cycles." The tonics help reverse the process of one problem leading to more problems. Something good happens when you start taking these herbs. You start to feel balanced and strong inside. You start having abundant energy when you need it and yet you feel relaxed and at peace. Incredibly, you become more and more adaptive so that you can do a lot of things that you couldn't do before. You find yourself taking on challenges you couldn't have handled before, doing things that you used to avoid or that you thought you were incapable of doing.
Where Do Tonic Herbs Come From?
Tonic herbs come from China. They also come from North and South America, Europe, Indonesia, Tibet, Bhutan, Africa, New Zealand, Korea, Japan, Mongolia, Russia and almost every region of the world. Tonic herbs are by their very nature safe and may be used for a lifetime to reinforce our health." Gratitude for this excerpt from Dragonherbs.
Only herbs that meet specific qualifications are ranked as tonic herbs. For an herb to be recognized as a superior (tonic) herb, that herb must have been found over many centuries of human use to meet six specific qualifications:
- A tonic (superior) herb must have anti-aging characteristics and must aid in the attainment of a long life.
- A tonic herb must have broad and profound health-promoting actions that result in a radiantly healthy life.
- A tonic herb must help balance our emotional and psychic energy so as to help improve one's state of spiritual and emotional well being and happiness.
- A tonic herb must have no negative side-effects when used reasonably, and therefore may be taken continuously over a long period of time if desired, yielding cumulative, long-term benefits. This emphasis on safety is in accordance with the first law of Chinese herbalism---"Do no harm."
- A tonic herb must taste good enough to be consumed easily and must be easily digestible and assimilable. Most of the herbs in the tonic category do taste good and, and in fact, any of these tonic herbs may be used in healthy cooking. Most are used commonly in a healthy Chinese diet. The tonic herbs are considered to be a major food group in the Asian diet.
- A tonic herb must contain at least one of the three treasures in such abundance that it can contribute to the building and maintenance of that treasure in one who consumes it. Some of the tonic herbs contain just one of the treasures, some contain two and some contain all three, in varying amounts and with varying power.
The great Chinese tonic herbs can make a very major contribution toward your ultimate well being. They can be consumed on a daily basis to fortify you for the adventure of life and to help you take full advantage of life’s richness.